BOE Workshop for January 18, 2005
1.) Special Budget Study Session
Background: At the December 13th BOE Meeting, the first interim finacial was presented. During the presentation, the projected $2,400,000 deficit was explained. In addition, a high level summary of over $6,200,000 potential reductions was presented.
Staff presented the itemized list of the $6,000,000+ potential reductions.
Here is a recap of the 25 speakers who spoke:
- Programs Receiving Support from the Speaker:
- Keeping Even Start program at Woodstock School if it closes (5 speakers)
- Maintaining the 6-8 program at Paden School (4 speakers)
- Maintaining the program at WCDC (3 speakers)
- Maintaining Class Size Reduction (3 speakers)
- Maintaining Counselors (3 speakers)
- Maintaining Athletic Stipends (3 speakers)
- Maintaining JROTC (2 speakers)
- Maintaining staffing levels based on enrollment for Health Clerks (1 speaker)
- Questioned why there was no input from the community and employees in developing the list
- Requested that the next workshop be held on the West End
- Request a list of consultants being used by the District
- Challenged the District's assertion that the decline in enrollment was due to the closure of Harbor Island
- Requested a report on what programs are encroaching on the General Fund
- Supported the push for educating parents and High School students on the loss of $35 per day when a student does not attend school
In addition, the California School Employees Association representatives presented its recommendations for program reductions. Among the big items were: closing an elementary school and eliminating class size reduction for K-3. In addition, they recommended the elimination of the Public Relations Office, assigning an additional Principal to 2 schools (i.e. 2 principals for 4 schools), eliminating a vice-principal position at Encinal High school, eliminate the ASTI program and reducing overtime an additional $40,000.
At the Janaury 25th BOE meeting, initial recommendations from staff on which program reductions should be considered will be presented.
Send mail to email@example.com with
questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: January 19, 2005
Disclaimer: This website is the sole responsibility of Mike
McMahon. It does not represent any official opinions, statement of facts or
positions of the Alameda Unified School District. Its sole purpose is to
disseminate information to interested individuals in the Alameda community.