2014 - Interesting Times Ahead
January 11, 2014
Elimination of bubble testing, parent participation in
budgeting and school site makeover planning are three big things happening in
Alameda in 2014.
First, with the suspension of CST standardized testing,
students will be piloting tests for the Common Core Standards.
Second, with a new state funding formula (LCFF) school districts
are required to create an advisory committee as part of the Local Control
Third, Alameda Unified is in the process of developing site
by site master plans which will be integrated into a District wide Facilities
Teaching and Learning Trends
January 11, 2014Interested in following what I am reading about teaching and learning issues? Then LIKE my 2014 reelection Facebook page Mike McMahon for School Board. Liking this page does constitute support for my campaign. Recent articles include Top 12 issues in California, A New Definition for Teaching and 12 year old in a TED talk about his school experience.
Facilities Master Plan Process
February 1, 2014At the October 8 meeting, the Board selected Quattrocchi Kwok Architects to develop a Facilities Master Plan. At the October 22 meeting the Board approved the scope of work and these additions. At January 28 2014 BOE meeting a status update on the progress was given.
Here is a schedule of school site meetings for 2014 to define specific plans for each school. Please check the AUSD website's Facilities Master Plan page for changes/updates to the schedule before attending.
Measure H Lawsuit
June 12, 2013The Appeals Court has ruled that a portion of the Measure H is invalid. The Appeals court has directed the lower court to determine how plaintiffs can have their portion above $120 per parcel returned to them. The amount of monies in question are approximately $2.4 million per year for the three years it was collected. The subsequent parcel tax (Measure A) was not appealed and therefore will stand.
After granting a rehearing, the Appeals Court reaffirmed its initial ruling that the portion of Measure H impacting commercial property is invalid.
In June, the Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal. As a result, the case will return to Superior Court for determination on how refunds will be issued. AUSD issued this press release.
School Locator with 2002-2010 API Data links
View Larger Map
February 25 BOE Meeting Recap District Documentation
- Wood Middle School Restructuring Plan Update
- Update on Food Services Pilot Program
- Academy of Alameda Charter Petition Approval
- Proposed Land Swap between AUSD and the City of Alameda
February 11 BOE Meeting Recap District Documentation
- Update on English Language Learner Program
- Annual Report on Technology
January 28 BOE Meeting Recap District Documentation
- Wood Middle School Restructuring Plan
- Update on Space Available for Charter Schools
- Update on Facilities Master Plan Process
- Common Core Implementation Progress Report
- Review of Governor's January 2014 Budget
- Audit Report for 2012/13
- Academy of Alameda Public Hearing
- Developer Fees
January 14 BOE Meeting Recap District Documentation
- Prop 39 Offers Status Update
- Measure A Annual Report
- 1.75% Salary Increase
- Teacher of the Year Launch
CA News Stories Related to Education
AUSD Board Policies and Administrative Regulations Enter: ALAMEDA for username and public for the password
Additional Materials on the Website
- Alameda Point Development Section
- Labor Settlements with Employee Groups
- Equity/Excellence Section
- Cycle of Inquiry Section
- Point of Views on Public Education Section
- Monthly Updates Section
- Single School Plan Section